Monday, May 10, 2010

My Derby Name Would Be Beezlebeth


Redux's artist in residence, Cory Oberndorfer, and I went to the Lowcountry Highroller's practice on Sunday. We overheard one girl saying to another, "You have crappy wheels."

"Is that the equivalent of 'I think you're fat' in the derby world?" I asked Cory. He's got the derby knowledge; the subject matter of the majority of his paintings are derby girls infused with candy, so I figured he'd have a good answer.

"No, I think it's more like 'You have ugly shoes,'" he replied quickly.

"Yeah, you're right," I agreed, "'She's a bad skater' is probably the taboo phrase."

Oberndorfer is using the local derby team as inspiration for an installation at the Redux. He just got into town and will work through the 26th. The public is encouraged to stop by and see his progress.

For more information on the artist, visit www.coryoberndorfer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment