Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shhhhh...Amos Lee was in town.

I went to the Amos Lee show at the Music Farm knowing two things about him: 1. My good friend Allyson said I would like him, and 2. He toured with one of my local favorites, Cary Ann Hearst.

So, he had to be good, right?

Allyson says it was a couple lines from Lee's song "Keep it Loose, Keep It Tight" that made her fall in love with him. "I'm in love with a girl who's in love with the world, and I can't help but follow. Though I know some day she is bound to go away and stay over the rainbow. We all need a place where we can go. To feel over the rainbow."

Lee walked onto stage virtually unnoticed. Started playing a mellow song sans his band. "Is that him?" I asked.

"I think. Yeah. Yeah, that's him," Allyson replied half-heartedly. And perhaps a lot of people were posing the same question, because after the song was over, Lee announced, through the whispering, "If you came to talk over me, I'm not with you."



Bold move. I'm still not sure if I like him more for it, or if I was rubbed the wrong way.

But, it was hard to dwell on an off-the-cuff comment when his planned words were delivered so nicely. Albeit, quietly, but that was actually a nice change from the normal, headache-inducing bands that headline the venue. The constant shush-ing in the audience in response was a bit much, but I guess he scared us.

Lee's guitar playing was effortless, and his range, even more impressive. His song "Colors" seemed the most popular. Probably earned the most shush-ing.

His cover of Queen's "Fat Bottomed Girls" ended the show nicely--the crowd finally got to make a little noise.

That Allyson's always right.

No comments:

Post a Comment